The sun is one of the most essential aspects of the solar system. It gives us days and nights. The sun keeps us warm during the winters and hot during the summers. Without the sun, plants, fruits, and veggies would not be able to flourish. The sun is also good for cooking! Our campers learned how to cook mini bagel pizzas by utilizing the sun’s energy. Follow the steps below and you learn too
Making pizza: Solar Energy Edition
First, you will need these materials:
- Recycled pizza box
- Black construction paper
- Aluminum foil
- Clear plastic (heavy plastic laminate works best)
- Non-toxic glue, tape, scissors, ruler, magic marker
- Wooden dowel or straw
- Pencil or pen
1. Draw a one-inch border on all four sides of the top of the pizza box. Cut along three sides leaving the line along the back of the box uncut.
2. Form a flap by gently folding back along the uncut line to form a crease.
3.Cut a piece of aluminum foil to fit on the inside of the flap. Smooth out any wrinkles and glue into place.
4.Measure a piece of plastic to fit over the opening you created by forming the flap in your pizza box. The plastic should be cut larger than the opening so that it can be taped to the underside of the box top. Be sure the plastic becomes a tightly sealed window so that the air cannot escape from the oven interior.
5. Cut another piece of aluminum foil to line the bottom of the pizza box and carefully glue into place. Cover the aluminum foil with a piece of black construction paper and tape into place.
6.Close the pizza box top (window), and prop open the flap of the box with a wooden dowel, straw, or other device and face towards the sun.
7.Adjust the oven until the aluminum reflects the maximum sunlight through the window into the oven interior. Your oven is ready! Test how hot your oven can get using a simple oven thermometer!
Do not forget your ingredients!
4.Garden veggies (peppers, tomatoes, squash, greens
5.Herbs (oregano, basil)
Keep scrolling to see how our pizza turned out